Saturday, June 16, 2007

From The Orange State

Well Folks, say your farewells to yours truly because summer is coming to Fresno. It's supposed to be a balmy 99 degrees today so that's about 36 real degrees and it's not supposed to be any less than 34 degrees for about the next 10 days. Last year there was about two weeks of sustained 43 degree heat... basically at 3:00 in the morning it is still about 37 degrees outside. I'm doing fine with the heat so far but it is unreal how much water you have to drink in order to function like a normal person out there! Yesterday I drank about 3 litres of water about 2 hours before going to bed and I woke up and barely had to pee at all. It's rediculous. Oh and our air conditioning is broken currently so basically I have a shower and go to bed wet with my fan on so that I can fall asleep. Good times in Fresno California.
I'm going to give a little relational wisdom so the wise should probably stop reading now: When you first start dating a girl don't move away for three months unless you can, or are willing to learn how to communicate well. Communicating well can seem like a chore sometimes... you know keeping up all those highschool contacts, trying to stay on top of what everyone is doing with their lives, trying to encourage everyone (facebook only adds to this load because it brings sooo many people back into your life. You now have contact with them and therefore there's a certain amount of expectation to maintain that contact). Brittany makes communication exciting. I know that I have very few ways to be involved in her life from here but if she can come home and be encouraged and smile because of something I have written for her it makes it all worth while.
So I "preached" on thursday night to about thirty highschool kids. It was awesome, I loved it. I got to tell them about Joshua and how he radically obeyed God's commands and how God gave him success in everything he did because of it. Bible school definitely came in handy when preparing for that (thank you Ken Esau). I think that I was able to hold their attention simply with the story of Joshua and it's lessons. I hope that those who did pay attention saw that the Bible is exciting and very applicable. Next week I'm "preaching" on Josiah and his reforms. I'm really looking forward to it. I love the Old Testament, there are so many awesome stories in it.
So Fred and his family are gone now so I basically have their house to myself for the rest of June. I'm responsible to mow their lawn and keep everything watered etc. It's a pretty big task because their yard is beautiful and therefore if it isn't when they get back it's basically my fault... luckily they have automated sprinklers that pretty much water everything for me.
Oh if anyone wants to make a donation i'm still collecting for my "bring Brittany to California" fund. Every little bit counts :)
I've been doing a lot more reading lately which is soo good. I don't think that I've read anything but my bible and text books for the last two years. I forgot how much I love to read. I've got a couple of books on leadership that I'm plugging through for my internship and they are really cool so far. Very inspiring. Inspiring... kind of like perspiring which is definitely what I'm doing right now as I write. Must be time to go jump in the pool.
I love you all. (maise, this was just for you :) happy birthday little sister) (oh and happy birthday to Kira too!)

Stewie

4 Comments:

Blogger dan brouwer said...

hot, hot, hot!...but not as hot as you Stewart *teehee*. Anyways..its rainy and a lot cooler here. Glad to hear things are still going great down there - but you better come back soon so we can go to Timmy's or some sort of activity at white pine...
and yes communication is key for sure.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Mr. H said...

Babies Stewart, babies. Mange mange. It's a pleasure to hear from you.

4:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

stewart...sounds liek God's taking great care of you down there. love ya buddy.

p.s. eye surgery is a possibility...i have testing in a month---a month late thanks to teh pesticides! :)

6:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

stewie, is there a number i can reach you at in fresno in order to attempt to arrange a romantic date with you sometime when i'm in cali this summer?

9:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home